[ros-users] can't seem to roslaunch nodes on other machines

Ken Conley kwc at willowgarage.com
Tue Jul 6 18:18:56 UTC 2010

The solution here is to explicitly set the ros-root and
ros-package-path in the <machine> tag to their desired values, which
is actually the intent of the <machine> tag.

 - Ken

On Mon, Jul 5, 2010 at 2:39 PM, Sean Anderson
<sanderson at clearpathrobotics.com> wrote:
> Thanks Tully,
>
> No we're not using a NFS currently...
>
> It seems the problem is that roslaunch is using my (sanderson) local
> environment variables as the default while ssh'ing into citadel.local
> (mpurvis) ... I was hoping there was a "easy" way to tell the remote machine
> to use its own environment variables other than finding out what they are
> manually and baking them into the machine definition.
>
> Any thoughts?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Sean
>
> On Mon, Jul 5, 2010 at 5:22 PM, Tully Foote <tfoote at willowgarage.com> wrote:
>>
>> Sean,
>> The error it's complaining about suggests that the computer citadel.local
>> doesn't have ros installed in /home/sanderson/ros  If you don't have NFS or
>> an other shared file system you need to make sure you have the same paths,
>> or you need to set ROS_ROOT and ROS_PACKAGE_PATH for the machine tag such
>> that roslaunch can find the ros stack and other stacks on the remote
>> machine.  See http://www.ros.org/wiki/roslaunch/XML/machine
>>
>> In particular, I note that your username on citadel.local is mpurvis but
>> your path exports /home/sanderson/...
>>
>> Tully
>>
>> On Mon, Jul 5, 2010 at 1:26 PM, Sean Anderson
>> <sanderson at clearpathrobotics.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> I'm trying to create a roslaunch file that will be able to spin up many
>>> of the main nodes I will be using. In this file, I want to launch my
>>> navigation based nodes on a netbook mounted to the robot.
>>>
>>> I've followed some of the examples I found about setting up roslaunch and
>>> machine definitions, as well as setting up ssh keys for permission
>>>
>>> it seems that the problem is, after ssh'ing in, it wants to use my local
>>> ROS_ROOT directory on the other machine..
>>>
>>> here is the output:
>>>
>>> started roslaunch server http://sanderson:50947/
>>> remote[citadel.local-0] starting roslaunch
>>> remote[citadel.local-0]: creating ssh connection to citadel.local:22,
>>> user[mpurvis]
>>> remote[citadel.local-0]: ssh connection created