[ros-users] Navigation Stack performance

Eric Perko wisesage5001 at gmail.com
Wed Jul 7 18:01:43 UTC 2010

Gonçalo,

Could you try turning down the loop rates on things until the robot
can move safely? For example, you could reduce the loop rate by
changing the controller_frequency documented here:
http://www.ros.org/wiki/move_base . I've also seen CPU time free up by
turning down the update and publish frequencies of the costmaps. It
may also be useful to set the costmaps to the 2D grid vs. a voxel grid
(which I believe is the default). That parameter is documented here:
http://www.ros.org/wiki/costmap_2d#Map_type_parameters .

Basically, whenever I encountered a loop rate that was regularly
missing it's requested rate, I had to reduce the update frequency or,
in the case of the costmaps, size or resolution. I suggest reducing
loop rates until the warnings go away and checking to see if the
robots can still move safely in the environment with the slower update
rates.

Let us know how it goes - I'm interested in the parameters you end up
with and what performance you see on lower-end hardware.

- Eric