[ros-users] camera1394 - failure to start cameras

Jack O'Quin jack.oquin at gmail.com
Tue Jul 13 15:56:57 UTC 2010

On Mon, Jul 12, 2010 at 10:14 PM, Jack O'Quin <jack.oquin at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 12, 2010 at 4:59 PM, Kim Houck <kim_houck at yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>> I like the idea of a 'retries' parameter, either defaulted to 1 or 2 or
>> to 0.
>
> I created a ticket for this problem (#4251)...
>
>  https://code.ros.org/trac/ros-pkg/ticket/4251

On further consideration, I decided Eric was right. There is little
risk in unconditionally retrying the open a couple of times. For
cameras that are already working it will have no effect. For those
inclined to hang when opened with invalid parameters, the open will
succeed and the camera will hang, just as before.

Since this is a simple change and it does no harm with my unit test
cameras, I committed the change to SVN in the camera_drivers trunk.
There is also a patch attached to ticket #4251. None of my cameras
require retries, but they tolerate them just fine.

@Kim: Would you please:

 (1) check out  https://code.ros.org/svn/ros-pkg/stacks/camera_drivers/trunk
 (2) put it in front of cturtle in your $ROS_PACKAGE_PATH
 (3) rosmake camera1394
 (4) test it with your Sony DFW-X710

If you are using cturtle from svn and not binaries, it might be
simpler to just patch your copy of the driver and rebuild. Either
approach should work. If you have questions, please ask.

If this fix works for you, we can close the ticket and release it in
the next cturtle update.

Thanks for helping,
--
 joq