[ros-users] C++ versus Python in ROS

Stuart Glaser sglaser at willowgarage.com
Mon Jul 19 17:56:17 UTC 2010

Hi Sam,

Here are some thoughts:

> 1- What justifies using Python in ROS?

Same reasons for selecting Python or C++ in any other situation.  In
general, Python can be faster for getting something working, but C++
is necessary for heavy lifting.  Whenever possible I use Python, but
if the problem requires more speed than Python can provide I switch to
C++.

Python is an excellent language.  Go learn it.

> 2- Are the majority of tutorials in Python or C++?

It's mixed.  Many tutorials are in both languages.

> 3- I notice that if one wants to use an IDE, Eclipse and Code:Blocks are
> suggested in the ROS wiki along with how to create an ROS package in
> Code:Blocks......but I see nothing like this for Python......what is a
> suggested IDE for Python?

I assume both Eclipse and Code:Blocks work for Python too.

> 4- Looking towards future robot-building tools integration, does Python
> support possibilities of using ROS+Orocos+OpenCV+Gazebo......C++ can be used
> with Orocos, but can Python?

The Orocos folks would know about using Python and Orocos together.

> 5- I know C++ can be used for real-time action due to its speed, but can
> Python?

Python cannot be used for hard realtime applications.  Your thread may
lock up because of garbage collection or the GIL or plenty of other
reasons.  We do sometimes use it for soft realtime processes; it can
be semi-reliable up to 30 Hz or so.

-Stu

> Thanks.
>
> SamQ