[ros-users] Error installing ROS in Debian

Tully Foote tfoote at willowgarage.com
Tue Jun 1 23:43:50 UTC 2010

Hi Gorka,
I'm not sure when during the Debian development process things transition
from sid -> codename/sid -> codename.  The last one presumably is when it's
released, but may happen at some point in the RC process.  I haven't been
able to find any documentation.  In general it would be better for us to not
support squeeze until it's released, but the length of the duration between
releases means that many people do start using it before it's released.

If you could open a ticket at https://code.ros.org/trac/ros with the patch
for iostreams that would be great.  I don't have a development machine to
test it against, but a known running patch can be confirmed to not break the
other systems.

Tully

On Mon, May 31, 2010 at 6:38 AM, Gorka Azcune <gazcune at fatronik.com> wrote:

>  Hi Tully,
>

> Thanks for your answer. I resolved the first error installing the
> lsb_release package, but I still had some other errors. It turns out that
> “lsb_release –sc” returns “squeeze”, whereas my Debian distro is
> squeeze/sid. Moreover, rosdep.yaml is prepared for squeeze/sid, so when it
> tries to resolve system dependencies it fails. I changed the rosdep.yaml and
> put squeeze where squeeze/sid was written. There is another error too:
> libboost-iostreams-dev package is not being installed by rosinstall, because
> it is not written in rosdep.yaml. I added the package to rosdep.yaml and I
> could finally compile the Box Turtle release. Anyway, I wonder why
> lsb_release doesn’t return squeeze/sid as expected by rosdep.yaml. Any idea?
>

> Thanks in advance!
>

> >Hi Gorka,
>

> >The ROS os detection uses "lsb_release -si" and "lsb_release -sc" when
> trying to detect Debian.  Can you send what the results are of those
> commands?  >It's expecting "Debian"  for the issue.
>

> >Please note that Debian is only partially tested.  You will likely need to
> add a few rosdep rules to rosdep.yaml files.  There is documentation at >
> http://www.ros.org/wiki/rosdep  and the tutorial
> http://www.ros.org/wiki/rosdep/Tutorials/Add%20new%20OS%20to%20rosdep.yaml
>
> >tells
>
> >you how to extend any rosdep for a particular distro. If you do end up
> needing to extend rosdep.yaml files in stacks.  Please submit back patches
> to the >stacks you have to patch so others don't have to do the same thing (
> there are tracs for each of the projects at https://code.ros.org)
>

> >Tully
>

> *______________________________*
>
> *Gorka Azkune Galparsoro*
>
> Kontrol eta IKT Saila
>
> Departamento de Control y TIC
>
> *Control and ICT Department *
>

> *FATRONIK** *
> Mikeletegi Pasealekua, 7 - . Teknologi Parkea
> E-20.009 Donostia (Gipuzkoa)-Spain
>
> *Telf*: (+34) 943 005500
> *Fax*: (+34) 943 005511
> *e-mail* : gazcune at fatronik.com