[ros-users] PR2 Remote Laboratory Experiments

DuHadway Charles (CR/RTC1.1-NA) Charles.DuHadway at us.bosch.com
Thu Jun 3 23:45:52 UTC 2010

Hi Sarah,

We can't fully answer most of your questions yet since we are still in the process of collecting requirements for the lab. I would be interested in knowing what answers to those questions you would like to see. We want to get feedback from potential users of the lab as we design and built it since those users will ultimately determine the success of this project.

We have set aside a 12' x 24' area to build the lab. We will instrument that area with several cameras and a motion capture system. We haven't worked out specific requirements for bandwidth, latency, etc... We have started extending the webui package as a potential user interface but that will take some time to complete. The initial interface will consist of ssh and the standard ROS packages and will require endu users to be familiar with those tools.

The reporting function will be task specific and we haven't finalized which task(s) we want to do first. I imagine we'll have a separate program that runs alongside the algorithm being tested and evaluates its performance. This module could report results through the webui, as log files or as messages that can be recorded in a bag file. I would also like results to be posted publicly a la Netflix Challenge. Additional information required for debugging a specific algorithm would probably be best collected through log files or filtered bag files.

I hope this answers some of your questions. As I mentioned above we are very interested in what requirements users of the remote lab would have. What types of tasks are you considering for your learning from demonstration research? For learning from demonstration would you require remote teleoperation of the robot base and arms? What additional hardware or software requirements would be needed on the remote user's end?

Thanks,

Charles DuHadway
Reseearch Engineer
Bosch Research and Technology Center