[ros-users] Vision Stack Questions

Abe Bachrach abachrach at gmail.com
Wed Jun 9 14:46:27 UTC 2010

Hey Kurt,
this is probably on your guys' todo list for documentation/release, but
currently, there are a couple issues with the external files required by the
calonder features, and the place recognition...

calonder features:
the current.rtc file is not automatically downloaded when you build the
vslam_system package. To get it, I had to manually run
# make download_data_current.rtc
in the folder
stacks/visual_feature_detectors/calonder_descriptor/build

Furthermore, the path to the current.rtc file is hardcoded into the files
vision/vslam_system/run_stereo.cpp
vision/frame_common/src/frame.cpp

place recognition:
the path to the holidays.tree and holidays.weights is hardcoded  to
"/u/mihelich/vocab/holidays.tree", "/u/mihelich/vocab/holidays.weights"
in vslam.cpp (and possibly elsewhere)
these files don't seem to have a make rule that allows them to be
downloaded... are they available from somewhere?

finally, the software does not seem to check for the existence of these
files before trying to load them, and does not seem to check whether it was
able to successfully load them.

thanks,
-=Abe