[ros-users] ros tutorial notes

Floris van Breugel florisvb at gmail.com
Sat Jun 12 23:59:08 UTC 2010

Yea that makes sense, and works too. Thanks!

This would be relevant wiki page - I couldn't see how to edit the
'tutorials' section at the bottom - 'edit text' just brought up the the
first section?
http://www.ros.org/wiki/ROS/Installation/Ubuntu/SVN

- Floris

On Sat, Jun 12, 2010 at 3:45 PM, Tully Foote <tfoote at willowgarage.com>wrote:

> Bill's suggestion is what I would recommend too.  ROS_ROOT is already in
> your search path.  The tools won't get confused since ROS_ROOT comes first.
>
> Can you say which wiki pages you were following so they can be updated?
> Or feel free to update them yourself.
>
> Tully
>
> On 06/12/2010 03:03 PM, Bill Morris wrote:
> > On Sat, 2010-06-12 at 14:47 -0700, Floris van Breugel wrote:
> >

> >> I'm running Lucid, and followed the instructions online for the SVN
> >> install. Doing so for the tutorials put the folder 'ros-tutorials' in
> >> my home directory. That caused a variety of problems.. there's
> >> probably many ways to fix it, but this ended up working for me:
> >>
> >> move 'ros-tutorials' to ~/ros (or wherever your main ros folder is).
> >>
> >> edit ~/ros/setup.sh:
> >> edit this line:     export ROS_PACKAGE_PATH=INSTALL_PATH/ros/stacks
> >> so that it reads: export ROS_PACKAGE_PATH=INSTALL_PATH/ros
> >>
> > That probably will confuse some of the automated tools.
> >
> > Do not change ROS_PACKAGE_PATH, instead move ros-tutorials to
> > ~/ros/stacks/.

Floris van Breugel
Caltech Graduate Student
Control and Dynamical Systems
(925) 963 8280

Wildlife and Landscape Photographer
Galleries: http://www.ArtInNaturePhotography.com/
Blog: http://www.ArtInNaturePhotography.com/wordpress/
2010 CALENDARS! Now available on my website!