[ros-users] pr2_simulator woes in Box Turtle

Stefan Kohlbrecher stefan.kohlbrecher at googlemail.com
Mon Mar 8 12:24:37 UTC 2010

Hi,

I installed Box Turtle (PR2 Install) on my machine and wanted to play
around with some of the pr2 simulation tutorials. This didn't work
though, because the "pr2_simulator" stack doesn't seem to be part of
Box Turtle (which is understandable as it's supposed to run on the
real PR2). What is the "best practice" way of installing the
pr2_simulator stack, do I just create the directory "pr2_simulator" in
"stacks" and checkout the corresponding svn into that directory?

I was also surprised that I couldn´t start the empty world Gazebo
example. "rosmake gazebo" works finde, but "roslaunch gazebo
empty_world.launch" results in a lengthy error report with this at the
end:

  File "/home/stefan/ros/ros/core/roslib/src/roslib/packages.py", line
213, in get_pkg_dir
    raise InvalidROSPkgException("Cannot locate installation of
package %s: %s. ROS_ROOT[%s] ROS_PACKAGE_PATH[%s]"%(package,
rperr.strip(), ros_root, ros_package_path))
InvalidROSPkgException: Cannot locate installation of package
pr2_gazebo_plugins: [rospack] couldn't find package
[pr2_gazebo_plugins]. ROS_ROOT[/home/stefan/ros/ros]
ROS_PACKAGE_PATH[/home/stefan/ros-tutorials/ros_pkg_tutorials:/home/stefan/ros-tutorials/ros_tutorials:/home/stefan/ros/stacks]

This apparently is caused by the missing "pr2_simulator" stack. I'm
surprised by that because I expected that a empty world Gazebo example
should be independent of the pr2 simulation stack and should run
regardless of it existing or missing.

I'm not quite sure if all that is expected behavior or if I'm doing
something wrong, so thanks for the help in advance.

regards,
Stefan