[ros-users] image_proc doesn't work with camera1394

Eric Perko wisesage5001 at gmail.com
Thu Mar 25 23:35:39 UTC 2010

Hi all,

I'm currently trying to use the ROS image_pipeline and the new
camera1394 driver to get some Point Grey 1394 cameras up and running.
For some reason, I am unable to view any of the topic being published
by image_proc. First, here is the launch file I am using to start up
the camera and image_proc:

<launch>
<node pkg="camera1394" type="camera1394" name="left">
<param name="guid" value="00b09d010061ab25" />
<param name="video_mode" value="640x480_rgb" />
<param name="camera_info_manager/url"
value="file:///home/eric/code/cwrucam/cwrucam/calibration/calibration_left.yaml"
/>
</node>
<node pkg="image_proc" type="image_proc" name="proc" ns="left/camera" />
</launch>

After running this, I get the following output from rostopic list -v:

Published topics:
 * /left/camera/image_rect_color [sensor_msgs/Image] 1 publisher
 * /left/camera/image_rect [sensor_msgs/Image] 1 publisher
 * /left/camera/camera_info [sensor_msgs/CameraInfo] 1 publisher
 * /rosout [roslib/Log] 2 publishers
 * /left/camera/image_raw [sensor_msgs/Image] 1 publisher
 * /rosout_agg [roslib/Log] 1 publisher
 * /left/camera/image_color [sensor_msgs/Image] 1 publisher
 * /left/camera/image_mono [sensor_msgs/Image] 1 publisher

Subscribed topics:
 * /clock [unknown type] 3 subscribers
 * /rosout [roslib/Log] 1 subscriber

So, based on that, I can see that the image_proc node is actually up
and running. I am able to do "rosrun image_view image_view
image:=/left/camera/image_raw" and see the color image from my camera
streaming in. rostopic hz also confirms that both
/left/camera/image_raw and /left/camera/camera_info are running at
about 15 fps.

Now, when I run "rosrun image_view image_view
image:=/left/camera/image_rect_color" (or any other image_proc
published topic), I get a blank window with no image in it. Running
rostopic list -v again while the image_view node is running gives me
the following:

Published topics:
 * /left/camera/image_rect_color [sensor_msgs/Image] 1 publisher
 * /left/camera/image_rect [sensor_msgs/Image] 1 publisher
 * /left/camera/camera_info [sensor_msgs/CameraInfo] 1 publisher
 * /rosout [roslib/Log] 3 publishers
 * /left/camera/image_raw [sensor_msgs/Image] 1 publisher
 * /rosout_agg [roslib/Log] 1 publisher
 * /left/camera/image_color [sensor_msgs/Image] 1 publisher
 * /left/camera/image_mono [sensor_msgs/Image] 1 publisher

Subscribed topics:
 * /left/camera/image_rect_color [sensor_msgs/Image] 1 subscriber
 * /clock [unknown type] 4 subscribers
 * /left/camera/camera_info [sensor_msgs/CameraInfo] 1 subscriber
 * /rosout [roslib/Log] 1 subscriber
 * /left/camera/image_raw [sensor_msgs/Image] 1 subscriber

So, I can see that image_proc is subscribing to the correct topics and
image_view is also on the correct topic. I also tried starting the
image_proc node from the command line as indicated at
http://www.ros.org/wiki/image_proc but got the exact same behavior as
with the launch file. In either case, rostopic hz
/left/camera/image_rect_color just outputs that it is subscribing to
the topic and waits.

I'm pretty sure the camera is properly calibrated, as I just finished
calibrating it using the directions at
http://www.ros.org/wiki/camera_calibration/Tutorials/MonocularCalibration
and it worked fine and output a .yaml file when I hit upload in the
calibration GUI. rostopic echo on the /left/camera/camera_info topic
gives me the values that are in the calibration file. I'm assuming
that even if the calibration were somehow off, I should still at least
see the image_pipeline attempting to display an image_rect_color
topic.

So, I'm a bit stumped as to what to do to narrow down what is causing
this behavior, since I get no error output in any of my terminal
windows. I'm running the latest based on these .rosinstall files:
http://ros.org/rosinstalls/latest_pr2.rosinstall with
http://www.ros.org/rosinstalls/wg_latest_devel.rosinstall in an
overlay.

Are there some steps I can take to try to debug this problem? Has
anyone else experienced this type of issue with the new camera1394
driver?

Thanks in advance,
Eric Perko
wisesage5001 at gmail.com