[ros-users] driver implementation

Blaise Gassend blaise at willowgarage.com
Wed Mar 10 17:51:21 UTC 2010

Hi Marti,

If you feel that your drivers would benefit from using the driver_base
package, feel free to use them. Should you chose to use driver_base, the
problems you are likely to encounter are:

- There is currently nearly no documentation.
- It is likely to change in the future, as it has not been reviewed, and
there are many things in the API that I do not currently like.

The advantages for you of using driver_base is that it makes it easier
to support dynamic configuration, self tests and diagnostics. When I get
a chance to add things like disabling the driver driver_base, you will
automatically benefit from the enhancements.

In general I try to make API changes as painless as possible, trying not
to break old code without a deprecation period. That makes it easier to
support my drivers that use driver_base. But I can't guarantee that this
will be the case. Also, if you are using boxturtle, you can be sure that
the API for driver_base will not change. It will only change when you
switch to the next distribution.

I hope this helps answer your question,
Blaise