[ros-users] Help! ROS python imports suddenly stopped working

Jack O'Quin jack.oquin at gmail.com
Fri May 7 17:25:01 UTC 2010

On Fri, May 7, 2010 at 11:50 AM, Jeremy Leibs <leibs at willowgarage.com> wrote:
> On Fri, May 7, 2010 at 8:59 AM, Jack O'Quin <jack.oquin at gmail.com> wrote:
>> I don't know what I did wrong, but suddenly almost nothing ROS works for me.
>>
>> Running Ubuntu Karmic (64-bit) and ROS boxturtle binary install. All up to date.
>>
>> $ rosmake
>> Segmentation fault
>>
>> $ echo $PYTHONPATH
>> /opt/ros/boxturtle/ros/core/roslib/src
>>
>> $ python
>> Python 2.6.4 (r264:75706, Dec  7 2009, 18:43:55)
>> [GCC 4.4.1] on linux2
>> Segmentation fault
>>
>> This seems to happen for any ROS python script I try.
>>
>> Any clues what to look at next?
>

> I just ran an apt-get  upgrade on my karmic-64 machine and did notice
> it pulled in a newer version of python.
>
> Python 2.6.4 (r264:75706, Nov  2 2009, 14:44:17)  -->  Python 2.6.4
> (r264:75706, Dec  7 2009, 18:43:55)

I have the same (Dec 7) version.

> However, my system still seems to be working correctly.
>
> It is worth noting that as of boxturtle-10, boxturtle now includes
> .pyc files.  It would surprise me if this was actually the problem,
> given they are both 2.6.4 (and given that it worked just fine on my
> machine), but it's the first thing that comes to mind since it is
> functionality that we just added..

Good idea. But, the commands below did not help, so maybe it's something else.

> One thing you could try would be recompiling your .pyc files
>
> cd /opt/ros/boxrturtle
> sudo python -mcompileall -f .

No noticeable change. The .pyc files did get updated.

> Another thing you could try is just reinstalling the boxturtle deb (at
> least for ros):
>  sudo apt-get install --reinstall ros-boxturtle-ros

Still no change, although the .pyc file dates reverted to 2010-05-01.

@Patrick: my 32-bit Hardy system is still working fine with ROS.

I'm almost out of time for working on this today. Will try again tomorrow.

Thanks for all suggestions!
--
 joq