[ros-users] iCreate Roomba with ROS

Gonçalo Cabrita goncabrita at gmail.com
Fri May 14 12:51:48 UTC 2010

Hi everyone!

I recently started to explore ROS. I ran the tutorials and got one of our Hokuyo lasers working with ROS. The next logical step is probably to get a robot moving. Here at the lab we have a bunch of Roombas.

We have been using Player on the Roombas with a plugin driver I wrote specifically for the 500 series. I would like to re-write that driver to run native on ROS.

We also have a couple of erratics and I noticed that there is an erratic_player node inspired on the erratic player driver, however I'm not looking to do a similar thing, I want to write something ROS native (assuming I understood right what was done there).

Could anyone advise me on which direction to take next?

Thanks for the support,

Gonçalo Cabrita
ISR - University of Coimbra
Portugal