[ros-users] Weird issues with camera1394

Eric Perko wisesage5001 at gmail.com
Wed May 26 14:51:09 UTC 2010

Miguel,

What settings are you using when viewing the image in coriander? You
should try to copy those over when using  camera1394. For example,
does the camera send images in a bayer encoding or RGB? Also, what ISO
speed are you attempting to set in your launch file that it is
claiming is unsupported? My advice would be to play with settings in
coriander and then attempt to explicitly set the correct values as
parameters to camera1394 (or try different settings at runtime with
dynamic_reconfigure's GUI).

See http://github.com/ericperko/cwrucam/tree/master/cwrucam_vision/
for a launch file I used to successfully run a Point Grey Research
firewire camera after finding proper bayer and speed settings with
coriander, if you want to take a look at a non-sample launch file.

As far as the r/w permissions on /dev/*1394*, I also end up doing the
same thing to use my cameras. Basically, whatever user is running the
code needs r/w permissions and, by default, Ubuntu doesn't give all
users permissions on Firewire devices.

- Eric