[ros-users] Standard GPS Message

Mike Purvis mpurvis at clearpathrobotics.com
Fri May 28 00:25:26 UTC 2010

I'm interested in the common gps message, too. The messages in here look
excellent to me:

http://www.ros.org/doc/api/gps_common/html/index-msg.html

<http://www.ros.org/doc/api/gps_common/html/index-msg.html>And I'd find
useful a standard GPSWaypoint also.

As a new user of ROS, I'm finding it a bit overwhelming trying to know how
to use the gps_common message that's been proposed above. I've cloned
umd-ros-pkg, and I've found the gps_common package in the gps_umd stack...
but there's also the two relevant messages separately appearing in the gpsd
stack, independent of the gps_common packaging.

Should I just be copying the two files from msg to my own project/msg
directory, or should I be trying to place the gps_common package in some
centrally-located area, and creating a dependency on it? (How?)

Sorry to be such a noob about this, but I find the documentation regarding
project/directory structure a little confusing.

Mike Purvis