[ros-users] Segway_apox driver

kent williams k3nt00 at gmail.com
Fri Nov 12 22:14:29 UTC 2010

Hey Everyone,

I have a Segway RMP400 that I've been utilizing the player segway driver to
run. I'm beginning the transition over to ros and I have been trying to
successfully connect to the rmp via a usb to can interface and the
segway_apox package. I have sucessfully made that package along with
serial_port. The default port value in the segway_node.cpp is "/dev/ttyUSB2"
which I have changed to "/dev/usbcanII0" for the usb to can interface. I get
the following errors when trying to start the segway_apox segway_node.

$ rosrun segway_apox segway_node
about to try to open [/dev/usbcanII0]
opened [/dev/usbcanII0] successfully
ahhhhhhh couldn't run tcgetattr()
terminate called after throwing an instance of 'std::runtime_error'
  what():  couldn't initialize canbus on /dev/usbcanII0
/opt/ros/cturtle/ros/bin/rosrun: line 35:  7705 Aborted
$exepath "$@"

I found the tcgetattr() function in serial.c inside of the segway_apox
package, but I'm stuck there.

any help would be much appreciated!

Thanks,

Kent