[ros-users] Rosmake depends problem with flann

Radu Bogdan Rusu rusu at willowgarage.com
Thu Nov 4 10:36:42 UTC 2010

Garratt,

This is a nasty problem, and we should fix the way FLANN is exposed from within OpenCV (I would argue that it shouldn't
really be exposed from within OpenCV in ROS, as long as we have a ROS package for FLANN). In general, this practice of
just "eating up libraries" -- that is, include a library (FLANN) into another library (OpenCV) should be avoided for
many reasons. As long as FLANN remains standalone, it should be included as a dependency through the normal
rosdep/depend mechanisms.

The OpenCV case is a bit different though, because OpenCV itself is not a ROS package but an external "3rd party
dependency", wrapped in a ROS meta-package (opencv2). That means that it was easier for OpenCV to just copy FLANN inside
it rather than using some CMake/Makefile logic to search for it on the system. The latter is even more complicated as we
wouldn't really install FLANN on our systems globally, but use a ROS meta-package for it, so OpenCV would need to be
able to search through other ROS meta-packages...

Cheers,
Radu.