[ros-users] ROS Tutorial under OSX 10.6

Nicholas Butko nbutko at ucsd.edu
Thu Nov 4 14:24:48 UTC 2010

Felix,

The problems with turtle_teleop are different than the ones for wx* that are the normal hangup. The turtle_teleop package requires linux bluetooth drivers, which is simply not the way things work on OSX. I'm not sure if osx has libbluetooth by default, or something else instead, but I tried looking around and didn't see a mac version of libbluetooth.

Thus all the code for remote controls (playstation joysticks, etc.) seems like it will not work easily on osx.

However, turtle_teleop_keyboard works well.

So, you can go to the turtle_teleop CMakeLists and comment out turtle_teleop_joystick, and go to manifest.xml and comment out the ps3joy, joy, wiimote, and spacenav_node dependencies. Then you should be able to build turtle_teleop and use the keyboard for input.

I'm not sure if there's an easy way in ros's build system to encode platform specific build options, like "don't try to build turtle_teleop_joystick on OSX"

--Nick