[ros-users] Runtime remap

William Woodall wjwwood at gmail.com
Thu Nov 11 21:33:18 UTC 2010

I agree that joystick messages being converted to cmd_vel could be
generalized, but the main hurdle is the mapping from joy stick values (-1 to
1 on each axis) to velocities and yaw rates.  In my joy2twist pkg I have
scalar variables defined at the top, but they could be made into parameters
pretty easily.

https://github.com/wjwwood/sparcexplorer/blob/master/stacks/sparcexplorer/joy2twist/nodes/joy2twist.py

The other hurdle is that the mapping of additional button functions to other
components of the robot i.e. pr2's arms is hard to generalize.  It really is
just easier to write your own, but maybe a generic one that just converts
one stick into cmd_vel's could be useful for people just starting to learn
ROS and for convenience.

--

William Woodall
w at auburn.edu