[ros-users] [Orocos-users] [release] orocos_tools 0.1.0 and orocos_controllers 0.1.0

Herman Bruyninckx Herman.Bruyninckx at mech.kuleuven.be
Mon Nov 15 22:09:37 UTC 2010

On Mon, 15 Nov 2010, Josh Faust wrote:

> - most files do not contain any license information; if you make
>  Orocos-derived work (which you do, I think, and which is, of course,
>  allowed and even stimulated) you are bound by using the same license as the
>  work you derive from; and in the case of Orocos that is LGPL and not BSD
>  (most of the time).
>
> This is definitely *not* a derived work.  He is using Orocos as a
> library.  The whole point of the LGPL is to allow others to use your
> library without binding them to your license.
>
> It would be a derived work if he had modified Orocos itself and released it.
>
> Josh

Thanks for sharing your thoughts! I am not a lawyer, but I see _copies_ of
TaskContext creations from Orocos examples, with only some concrete
function names being replaced by the ones he need, so my personal reflex
would be to give credit to the project where I got this code from, also in
the license attached to the code.

Herman