[ros-users] ROS in Windows

William Woodall wjwwood at gmail.com
Wed Nov 17 17:41:29 UTC 2010

What he is saying is that you will need a ROS installation on a Linux
Machine to copy from.  When using ROS with Python you need the Msg
definitions for python.  These can only be generated on Linux right now.

From
http://www.ros.org/wiki/cturtle/Installation/Windows#Copying_generated_message_and_service_files
:
*You will need the auto-generated Python files for the messages and services
you plan to use. The easiest way to do this is to compile your packages on a
non-Windows setup, then copy these files over.*
*
*
So you will need ROS on Linux to support your windows development.  I
suggest you read the instructions on that page again too, it all seems to be
laid out.  Also, if you are new to ROS I would not recommend starting with
Windows development because it requires a pretty fundamental understanding
of ROS to get working.

Further more you are not going to be able to use python( from python.org)
with Visual Studio, you would need to use IronPython, which isn't supported
by ROS.  If you want to use Visual Studio, you will need to program in C++
using REC's ROSwin32 located here:
http://www.servicerobotics.eu/index.php?id=37.

Hope this helps,

William Woodall