[ros-users] roslaunch for multiple machines

Ken Conley kwc at willowgarage.com
Wed Nov 17 22:21:09 UTC 2010

Hi Chris,

1) You shouldn't need to set ROS_MASTER_URI in a roslaunch file
2) You need to set ROS_IP in your shell for the machine you run
roslaunch from. Any ROS_IP settings in your launch file are for
*remote* machines.
3) You can avoid having to use ROS_IP if you are able to just setup
your network to use hostnames properly, e.g. by adding entries to
/etc/hosts.  The reason why you don't see ROS_IP used much in other
setups is because they probably have configured their networks.

 - Ken