[ros-users] Reinventing the wheel: training and evaluation of algorithms for objects detection in images

Kurt Konolige konolige at willowgarage.com
Mon Nov 22 00:42:09 UTC 2010

Roderigo, I agree that imposing ROS on everyone isn't a good way to go,
if you don't want all of it to just work on one problem.  That's why,
for example, OpenCV exists independently from ROS.  We also encourage
everyone to write their code first as libraries with ROS-independent
APIs, and then add ROS wrappers.

The REIN project is similar in that we have tried to keep the basic
structure independent of ROS.  We would be happy to have a larger
community contributing to it.  It's not a trivial task - mixing and
matching techniques is not that easy, and we have yet to push a simple
textured object detector completely through the framework.

Cheers --Kurt