[ros-users] motion_planning_environment set up.

Adolfo Rodríguez Tsouroukdissian adolfo.rodriguez at pal-robotics.com
Mon Nov 22 14:06:41 UTC 2010

On Sun, Nov 21, 2010 at 6:13 PM, Konrad Banachowicz <konradb3 at gmail.com>wrote:

> Hi all,
> I am trying to set up motion_planning_environment for my manipulator.
> I have created my configs basing on these from PR2, everything starts but
> don't detect collision with environment.
> I am running environment_server without collision_map but i create static
> environment like in this tutorial :
> http://www.ros.org/wiki/motion_planning_environment/Tutorials/Adding%20known%20objects%20to%20the%20collision%20environment.
> I am testing its using code from this tutorial :
> http://www.ros.org/wiki/motion_planning_environment/Tutorials/Tutorial%20A
>
> My configs in appendix, all other configs for my manipulator can be found
> in my github repo : https://github.com/RCPRG-ros-pkg/irp6_robot .

Hi Konrad,

In the attached files, it seems that you are not specifying the
self-collision checks to be performed (the default is none). In $(find
irp6_test)/config/collision_checks_both_arms.yaml you have commented-out the
line that includes the relevant file (which AFAICT does not exist yet).
Without a collision map or self-collision geometries, there is nothing to
collide with!. Relevant code pasted below:

<launch>
    <!-- send parameters for collision checking for PR2; this includes
parameters for the self filter -->
<!--    <rosparam command="load" ns="robot_description_collision"
file="$(find irp6_test)/config/collision_checks_both_arms.yaml" />
-->
    <!-- send parameters needed for motion planning -->
    <rosparam command="load" ns="robot_description_planning" file="$(find
irp_test)/config/planning_groups.yaml" />
</launch>

Also, you should probably define additional groups in $(find
irp_test)/config/planning_groups.yaml, which can be links-only (no joints
needed here) which specify self-collision geometry groups, e.g.,

In $(find irp_test)/config/planning_groups.yaml:

- name: selfcol1
    links:
      link1
      link2
      base_link

- name: selfcol2
    links:
      link6

In $(find irp6_test)/config/collision_checks_both_arms.yaml

default_collision_operations:
  - object1: selfcol1
    object2: selfcol2
    operation: enable  # Enable collision checks between link6 and
{base_link, link1, link2}

 HTH,

Adolfo.

> Thanks for your help,
> Konrad Bnanachowicz

Adolfo Rodríguez Tsouroukdissian, Ph. D.

Robotics engineer
PAL ROBOTICS S.L
http://www.pal-robotics.com
Tel. +34.93.414.53.47
Fax.+34.93.209.11.09

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This e-mail and the accompanying document(s) may
contain confidential information which is privileged and intended only for
the individual or entity to whom they are addressed.  If you are not the
distribution or use of this e-mail and/or accompanying document(s) is
strictly prohibited.  If you have received this e-mail in error, please
immediately notify the sender at the above e-mail address.