[ros-users] Collision objects message type

Matei Ciocarlie matei at willowgarage.com
Tue Nov 23 17:15:13 UTC 2010

Hi Severin,

We have something like that in our object_manipulation stack, which has the
need to reason about objects from a database of known household objects. For
that we use the following message:

household_objects_database_msgs/DatabaseModelPose

# Informs that a specific model from the Model Database has been
# identified at a certain location

# the database id of the model
int32 model_id
# the pose that it can be found in
geometry_msgs/PoseStamped pose

This looks like what you need, even though your objects are not (yet) in the
database itself. However, it is simple enough that you don't necessarily
have to use it if you don't want to bring in the additional dependencies.

The CollisionObject messages are used to let the Collision Environment know
about objects in the world. Note that this is a separate task from any other
code you might have that uses object info. It is very useful though: you can
assign your object a unique collision name, and then refer to it to
individually enable/disable collision checking for your object, etc. More
details at:

http://www.ros.org/wiki/motion_planning_environment/Tutorials/Adding%20known%20objects%20to%20the%20collision%20environment

Let us know if we can help further.

Best,
Matei

On Tue, Nov 23, 2010 at 12:32 AM, Severin Lemaignan <lemaigna at in.tum.de>wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I need to represent a set of high-level objects by their id and pose in
> the environment.
>
> The best message candidate seems to be so far the
> mapping_msgs/CollisionObject type, but I read on the wiki that it is
> soon to be deprecated.
>
> Is it still recommended to use it or is an alternative available?
>
> Cheers,
> Severin
>
> --
>          Séverin Lemaignan - lemaigna at in.tum.de
>  [00]    PhD student on Cognitive Robotics
> /|__|\   Technische Uni München - IAS group / LAAS-CNRS - RIS group
>   ''     +498928917780 / +33561337844
>          http://www.laas.fr/~slemaign <http://www.laas.fr/%7Eslemaign>

Matei Ciocarlie
Research Scientist