[ros-users] GPS measurements on PR2 Simulator in Gazebo

Tully Foote tfoote at willowgarage.com
Thu Nov 25 04:21:57 UTC 2010

Hi TIna,

If you really want to navigate by the GPS alone and not use odometry you
could simply have your GPS sensor publish /odom and the transform from
/world to /base_link and skip all the other infrastructure.  However I would
caution that this will not be a good solution for anything which requires
anything more than coarse navigation.  The approach I would recommend would
be to use the GPS sensor for localization and then publish the correction
between map and odom frame as amcl does.

Tully

On Sat, Nov 6, 2010 at 4:37 PM, Tina Chou <tina20one at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Tully,
>
> Thanks for your response. I am trying to mount a GPS unit on the PR2 Robot
> (simulated in Gazebo) so I can publish the current latitude and longitude
> with respect to fixed world coordinates. Our robot will navigate through a
> static environment based on GPS data (not based on odometry data). I went
> through the navigation stack tutorials, but they only provide information
> about how to implement a GPS client for a physical GPS unit on a physical
> PR2. Please let me know if you have any resources for a publisher that
> publishes GPS coordinates (longitude, latitude) in simulation.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Tina
>

> On Mon, Nov 1, 2010 at 12:03 PM, Tully Foote <tfoote at willowgarage.com>wrote:
>
>> Hi Tina,
>> Could  you provide a little more details about what you want to be able to
>> do with the GPS?  Most GPS units are not well suited for odometry but are
>> good at localization.  There's a draft proposal explaining common navigation
>> frames here http://www.ros.org/reps/rep-0105.html
>>
>> There are also a bunch of tutorials on how to use the navigation stack at
>> http://www.ros.org/wiki/navigation/Tutorials
>>  This one in particular you may find useful
>> http://www.ros.org/wiki/navigation/Tutorials/RobotSetup/Odom  For setting
>> the pose amcl uses the initialpose topic.  You can set it through rviz
>> http://www.ros.org/wiki/navigation/Tutorials/Using%20rviz%20with%20the%20Navigation%20Stack
>>
>> Tully
>>
>> On Sun, Oct 31, 2010 at 6:00 PM, Tina Chou <tina20one at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> I am interested in publishing Odometry messages sent by the GPS sensor to
>>> the ROS topic '/odom,' but the documentation on ROS wiki only provides a generic
>>> example<http://www.ros.org/wiki/robot_pose_ekf/Tutorials/AddingGpsSensor>of how to add a GPS sensor input to the Robot Pose EKF Filter. Any
>>> suggestions for more detailed information about obtaining/setting GPS
>>> coordinates of PR2 would be much appreciated!
>>>
>>> Tina

>> --
>> Tully Foote
>> Systems Engineer