[ros-users] Questions about VSLAM

Anh Nguyen nguyenminhanh at gmail.com
Thu Oct 28 04:46:04 UTC 2010

Hi everyone,

I have a few questions about VSLAM. I am new to robotics and most of its
terminologies so I would appreciate any references that may explain the
background needed to understand your answer :)

- Can I use ROS VLSAM stack using only one camera (a webcam on my netbook to
be more specific).
- If so how do I configure VSLAM to get this to work?
- If not, can I add another external webcam and use them as a stereo video
system or do I have to purchase some commercial stereo camera? If I have to
purchase a commercial system, is there any  good one for < $400 range?

Has anyone tried to get VSLAM to work with iRobot Create? I spent the last
few weeks creating a reduced version of the PrairieDog stack that work
without the laser range finder and the stargazer, and mapped my office using
the robot's bumper sensor, only to realize that I cannot rely solely on the
robot's encoders for accurate localization.

Thanks a lot,

-M.A