[ros-users] Communicating between two user created packages

Billy Okal b.okal at jacobs-university.de
Tue Oct 5 11:40:30 UTC 2010

hi Peshala,

This is very simple, say you have packages packagex and packagey

And have designed messages in either of them, or even both

Say you have a message X.msg in packagex and want to use in packagey

in the manifest.xml of packagex, you need to add the following line

<export>
    <cpp cflags="-I{prefix}/msg/cpp/"/>
</export>

then in manifest.xml of packagey you need to add the following line

<depend package="packagex"/>

The you should be set. To use the message in the cpp code all you need to do
is now include the message headers as

#include <packagex/X.h>

and proceed to use it in the code. For python you will just need to use
'from packagex import *'

There are also a number of tutorials online which explain this.

Have fun

billy

On 5 October 2010 09:49, Peshala Jayasekara <peshala_24 at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> How can we communicate between two user created packages using a user
> created ROS msg?
> When I referred the tutorials, it only provides a scenario when the two
> executables (publisher and listener) are in the same package.
> Do we have to create the same msg in both the packages?
> Also, I'm having trouble figuring out how to include headers from a user
> created package to another package.
>
> Any advise would be greatly appreciated, since I'm a beginner.
>
> Thanks
> Peshala

Viele Gruss/Best Regards,
Billy Okal