[ros-users] Is the Gazebo simulation GPU bound?

John Hsu johnhsu at willowgarage.com
Tue Oct 12 07:16:23 UTC 2010

Hi Ibrahim,

If your system does not have sufficient graphics
support<http://www.ros.org/wiki/simulator_gazebo/SystemRequirements>,
you can try and run gazebo
headless<http://www.ros.org/wiki/simulator_gazebo/Tutorials/RunningSimulatorHeadless>.
For reference, with proper GLX support, on a 2.8GHz i7 with nvidia
9800GT,  default
pr2 simulation launch
script<http://www.ros.org/wiki/pr2_simulator/Tutorials/StartingPR2Simulation>runs
at roughly between 0.7~1.2X real-time.

John

On Oct 11, 2010 10:54 PM, "Ibrahim Awwal" <ibrahim.awwal at berkeley.edu>
wrote:

 Hi guys,
I'm just wondering, how much does the Gazebo simulation stuff,
specifically for the PR2, depend on the GPU? I've got a laptop with
hybrid/switchable graphics, i.e. Intel integrated + ATI discrete, and
right now ATI's Linux drivers don't support switchable graphics
properly, so I'm stuck with the Intel integrated, and I get about 5fps
in the gazebo simulation. Also, I frequently get crashes where it says
something about OGRE running out of memory. Is it supposed to be much
faster, or even basically real time? Thanks,

-Ibrahim Awwal