[ros-users] Hardware requirements for ROS

Brian Gerkey gerkey at willowgarage.com
Wed Oct 13 15:34:49 UTC 2010

On Tue, Oct 12, 2010 at 10:38 PM, ian_wk <i2rshuttle at gmail.com> wrote:
> I was wondering is there any minimum hardware requirements needed to run
> ROS.

> Currently, I have the same configuration for my icore7 and Intel Atom 1.6Ghz
> I noticed alot of warning message when I run using Intel Atom.
> E.g. Costmap2DROS transform timeout & Map update loop missed
>
> Is there any solution to reduce/eliminate the warning message?

The first thing to check is that the warning is a result of the CPU
actually being 100% busy.  If so, then the first thing that I would
try is lowering the resolution of the costmap, so that it has less
work to do.  Looking at the costmap_2d docs
(http://www.ros.org/wiki/costmap_2d), you'd want to change the
~<name>/resolution parameter (because it's expressed as meters/pixel,
you should increase it).

> I understand that we can sort of reduce the frequency.
> My current tf tree

Lowering the tf update rate shouldn't have a significant effect.

	brian.