[ros-users] Dynamic Deployment and Control of Nodes

Ken Conley kwc at willowgarage.com
Thu Oct 14 17:18:32 UTC 2010

Given that interfaces were seeded by your work with
dynamic_reconfigure/driver interfaces, it's great to see your
interest.

One of the reasons I put it on the shelf for a little bit was to think
about how far to extend the spec with respect to
parameterization/templating, and figuring out the most elegant way to
capture that.

As two examples:

1) Camera interface: these actually remap on the name 'camera', and I
want to be able to capture this
2) Costmap: this accepts parameters that describe the sensor topics it
uses as input. This case is especially hard because there is
effectively a list of topics set by a parameter.

I don't want to block progress on covering all potential cases, but it
is important that 'interfaces' at the very least cover the existing
sorts of interfaces out there, as well as be suitable replacements for
the NodeAPI documentation.

 - Ken