[ros-users] How to express coupled joints in URDF

John Hsu johnhsu at willowgarage.com
Thu Oct 14 18:27:15 UTC 2010

Hi Yoonsoo,
Seems like a custom transmission should work here.  You wouldn't have to
specify anything additional in URDF, except adding a transmission block for
corresponding joints.  Modeling your custom transmission after
SimpleTransmission<http://www.ros.org/doc/api/pr2_mechanism_model/html/classpr2__mechanism__model_1_1SimpleTransmission.html>or
WristTransmission<http://www.ros.org/doc/api/pr2_mechanism_model/html/classpr2__mechanism__model_1_1WristTransmission.html>should
be a good starting point.
Are you planning to run on hardware or in simulation?
John