[ros-users] ROS Interface for AR.Drone Quadrotor

Nate Roney roney.nate at gmail.com
Sat Oct 16 14:53:26 UTC 2010

Jack,

I say degrees here because the hardware command to the robot works this way.
You must specify to the robot it's maximum tilt angle, in degrees, with a
hardware configuration command (which will be available as a param or
service call, soon).

The -1 to 1 value of the linear.x or linear.y then acts as a scaling factor,
that is, it specifies the percent of the maximum tilt that should be applied
to the hardware, thus affecting the speed.

I thought it was important to make known what the commands were actually
telling the hardware to do, since this will vary on a per-configuration
basis. Maybe a better way to say it is *percentage of maximum tilt angle*,
which could then be interpreted in radians or degrees, knowing the
configuration of the robot (which is set and reported in degrees at the
hardware level).

Data published by the driver (when it gets there) will conform to all
standards and be specified in radians.

Thanks for the insight,
Nate Roney