[ros-users] about ROS/stereo_image_proc

Patrick Mihelich mihelich at willowgarage.com
Wed Oct 20 19:03:37 UTC 2010

On Wed, Oct 20, 2010 at 5:55 AM, kollok kollok <kolloktn at gmail.com> wrote:

> 1- Is it possible to edit the source code of a package (for example
> stereo_image_proc) and recompile it to be used in an other project?

stereo_image_proc is BSD-licensed, so you are welcome to reuse the source
code. All packages have the license listed in their manifest.

2- For stereo_image_proc, could I specify the paths of two images (from my
> hard disk) and make them inputs for the stereo_image_proc in order to
> calibrate, rectify and extract disparity map from them?

Jeff's suggestion will work. It's probably simpler to use the stereo_image_proc
API<http://www.ros.org/doc/api/stereo_image_proc/html/classstereo__image__proc_1_1StereoProcessor.html>,
the only caveat being that this API is not considered public and may change
in future releases. You would load the raw image pair as in the
PublishingImages tutorial, and load CameraInfo's with your stereo
calibration (see
camera_calibration_parsers<http://www.ros.org/wiki/camera_calibration_parsers>).
Then fill a StereoCameraModel<http://www.ros.org/doc/api/image_geometry/html/c++/classimage__geometry_1_1StereoCameraModel.html>with
the calibration, and pass everything to StereoProcessor::process() -
you can look at the stereo_image_proc code for those steps.

Note that stereo_image_proc will create rectified and disparity images, but
the cameras must already be calibrated. The
camera_calibration<http://www.ros.org/wiki/camera_calibration>package
can help with that.

Patrick