[ros-users] Eclipse projects

Daniel Stonier d.stonier at gmail.com
Thu Oct 21 15:20:27 UTC 2010

I actually prefer just using makefile projects within eclipse.

- create a new ros package
- in eclipse:
  - create anew, empty Makefile project. Turn off the default location and
choose your ros package location instead.
- make sure you add the line 'set(CMAKE_VERBOSE_MAKEFILE true)' to your
CMakeLists.txt, this helps eclipses' c++ indexer.
- build project, clean project then both work as you expect...with a
parallel build directory.

Of course, that will only let you make the individual project. But i
typically do an rosmake for the project now and then (i.e. when I download
or other packages have changed alot). Usually while developing all you need
is to make the single package.

The above also has the advantage in that you don't have any problems with
the .project, .cproject files getting shared amongst your team. That and the
fact that you can make/rosmake from a shell and build from inside eclipse
without it getting mucked up.

I should probably add some notes about this to the wiki.

On 21 October 2010 11:31, Aditya Gadre <agadre at vt.edu> wrote:

> I have a question about "make eclipse-project" command. I created a
> package which has a number of CMakeLists.txt files as follows -
>
> gps (package_dir)
>     - CMakeLists.txt ( with add_subdirectory(src) )
>     - src (directory)
>         - CMakeLists.txt (with add_subdirectory(gps) and
> add_subdirectory(node))
>         - gps (directory)
>             - CMakeLists.txt (with add_library)
>         - node (directory)
>             - CMakeLists.txt (with add_executable)
>
> When I run "rosmake gps", all CMakeFiles directories and other related
> CMake files are under the "build" directory as expected for an
> out-of-source build. However, when I run "make eclipse-project", then
> CMakeFiles directories, along with other CMake files are created in
> directories that contain CMakeLists.txt files. The ROS wiki mentions the
> work-around used by "make eclipse-project". Are all CMakeFiles folders
> created outside the build directory a result of this work-around?
>
> Thanks,
> - Aditya

Phone : +82-10-5400-3296 (010-5400-3296)
Home: http://snorriheim.dnsdojo.com/
Yujin Robot: http://www.yujinrobot.com/
Embedded Control Libraries: http://snorriheim.dnsdojo.com/redmine/wiki/ecl