[ros-users] Simple action client - querying its status

Blaise Gassend blaise at willowgarage.com
Fri Oct 22 15:53:44 UTC 2010

Hi Daniel,

getState() is telling you the state of the client's current goal, not
the state of the server. Hence, if there is no goal, getState is
meaningless. This makes sense because a server could have the ability
to handle multiple goals in parallel. Hence, there isn't a single
state for the server that you can query.

I imagine that what you are trying to do is determine if a server that
can only handle a single goal is currently busy. I don't think that
there is a general answer to that question. Some servers might reject
your goal if they are already busy. Others might interrupt the
existing goal. Let's see what others have to reply.

Blaise