[ros-users] Gazebo real time controller

Stuart Glaser sglaser at willowgarage.com
Fri Oct 22 18:42:34 UTC 2010

Hi Andreas,

The ill-named controller_manager.launch does not actually launch the
controller manager.  Instead, it launches other nodes that work with
the controller manager (publishing diagnostics and tf, I believe).
The controller manager is launched inside the Gazebo process as a
Gazebo plugin.

At Willow, we either launch the controller manager inside Gazebo or in
the process controlling a PR2 (pr2_etherCAT).  The controllers operate
on joint states and commands, which are provided by the robot or by
Gazebo.  Launching the controller manager by itself means that the
controllers have nothing to operate on, which doesn't make a great
deal of sense.

How are you trying to use only RViz as an environment?  In your
planned setup, where can you read joint positions from and where can
you send joint efforts?

-Stu

2010/10/22 Andreas Vogt <andreas.vogt at dfki.de>:

> Hi,
>

> How can I use my real time controller without Gazebo? I want only use
> RVIZ as an environment.
> With Gazebo everything works fine but when I try to start the controller
> without Gazebo nothing happens.
>
> <launch>
> <include file="$(find pr2_controller_manager)/controller_manager.launch"/>
> <param name="robot_description" textfile="$(find
> robot_simulation)/robot.xml" />
> <rosparam file="$(find robot_simulation)/robot_simulation.yaml"
> command="load" />
> <node pkg="pr2_controller_manager" type="spawner"
> args="robot_simulation_ns" name="robot_simulation_spawner" />
> </launch>
>
> Thanks
>
> --
> Andreas Vogt
> Logistics and Production Robotics
>
> Standort Bremen:
> DFKI GmbH
> Robotics Innovation Center
> Robert-Hooke-Straße 5
> 28359 Bremen, Germany
>
> Phone: +49 (0)421 178 45-6617
> Fax:   +49 (0)421 178 45-4150
> E-Mail: andreas.vogt at dfki.de
>
> Weitere Informationen: http://www.dfki.de/robotik
> Deutsches Forschungszentrum fuer Kuenstliche Intelligenz GmbH
> Firmensitz: Trippstadter Straße 122, D-67663 Kaiserslautern
> Geschaeftsfuehrung: Prof. Dr. Dr. h.c. mult. Wolfgang Wahlster
> (Vorsitzender) Dr. Walter Olthoff
> Vorsitzender des Aufsichtsrats: Prof. Dr. h.c. Hans A. Aukes
> Amtsgericht Kaiserslautern, HRB 2313
> Sitz der Gesellschaft: Kaiserslautern (HRB 2313)
> USt-Id.Nr.:    DE 148646973
> Steuernummer:  19/673/0060/3

Stuart Glaser
sglaser -at- willowgarage -dot- com