[ros-users] common stack dependencies on pr2.

Sachin Chitta sachinc at willowgarage.com
Sun Oct 24 21:08:57 UTC 2010

Hi Konrad,

As Ken noted, the dependency on PR2 specific packages seems to be in
the dependency on trajectory_msgs and pr2_controllers_msgs. We already
have a plan to move trajectory_msgs out into a non-pr2 dependent
stack. If we also move the JointTrajectoryAction and PointHeadAction
out, I think we can solve all the PR2 dependency issues.

I have opened tickets to that effect
- https://code.ros.org/trac/wg-ros-pkg/ticket/4838
- https://code.ros.org/trac/wg-ros-pkg/ticket/4839

Let me know if there are any other PR2 specific dependencies that may
be causing problems.

Regards,
Sachin

On Sat, Oct 23, 2010 at 2:27 PM, Konrad Banachowicz <konradb3 at gmail.com> wrote:
> I overlooked version information of this stack.
> I think it's should be more visible on wiki.
> Pozdrawiam
> Konrad Banachowicz
>

> 2010/10/23 Ken Conley <kwc at willowgarage.com>
>>
>> Hi Konrad,
>>
>> While I'm sure the developers of the motion_planners stack will take
>> steps to remove PR2 dependencies, I thought I should point to our
>> stack version policy, which may clarify things:
>>
>> http://www.ros.org/wiki/StackVersionPolicy
>>
>> motion_planners is 0.2.4, which is described as
>> "research/experimental... some review has occurred, and we are
>> migrating this stack to more stable APIs". It will not be stabilized
>> for Diamondback, but you may be interested in this ticket about
>> trajectory_msgs:
>>
>> https://code.ros.org/trac/wg-ros-pkg/ticket/4675
>>
>> Also, motion_planners is distributed in the 'pr2all' variant of ROS
>> which is described as "ROS plus PR2 and bleeding edge
>> research/experimental stacks." Only stacks in the stable 'base'
>> variant are expected to be robot generic.
>>
>>  - Ken
>>
>> On Sat, Oct 23, 2010 at 7:06 AM, Konrad Banachowicz <konradb3 at gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>> > Hi all,
>> > I currently run robots in our lab on ROS.
>> > With mobile everything goes fine, but when i started with manipulators.
>> > I found that in ROS is some strange dependencies, in manipulation stacks
>> > is
>> > many dependencies on PR2 specyfic packages. For example
>> > pr2_controllers_msgs/JointTrajectoryActionGoal is used by many of the
>> > common
>> > stacks. trajectory_msgs is also part of one of PR2 stacks. This kind of
>> > dependencies should be strictly forbiden.
>> > There are some PR2 specyfic packages residing in common stacks, the best
>> > example i think is interpolated_ik_motion_planner which reside in
>> > motion_planners stack. And documentation do not mention about PR2
>> > specyfic
>> > of this package.
>> > Pozdrawiam
>> > Konrad Banachowicz