[ros-users] OSError: [Errno 13] Permission denied

beepbeep mvharish14988 at gmail.com
Sun Sep 12 04:19:46 UTC 2010

Hello,

I've installed ROS by following the instructions, and it's installed in /opt

I have the follwing problem:

topo at URAL:/opt/ros/cturtle/stacks$ roscreate-pkg beginner_tutorials std_msgs
rospy roscpp
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/opt/ros/cturtle/ros/bin/roscreate-pkg", line 35, in <module>
    roscreate.roscreatepkg.roscreatepkg_main()
  File "/opt/ros/cturtle/ros/tools/roscreate/src/roscreate/roscreatepkg.py",
line 126, in roscreatepkg_main
    create_package(package, author_name(), depends, uses_roscpp=uses_roscpp,
uses_rospy=uses_rospy)
  File "/opt/ros/cturtle/ros/tools/roscreate/src/roscreate/roscreatepkg.py",
line 63, in create_package
    os.makedirs(p)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.6/os.py", line 157, in makedirs
    mkdir(name, mode)
OSError: [Errno 13] Permission denied:
'/opt/ros/cturtle/stacks/beginner_tutorials'

roscreate works fine when I try it in my home directory.
Permission issues? What can the possible solution be?

Thanks.