[ros-users] navigation stack : changing inflation_radius

Eitan Marder-Eppstein eitan at willowgarage.com
Thu Sep 2 06:17:23 UTC 2010

Kei,

I've answered in-line below.

On Wed, Sep 1, 2010 at 7:55 PM, Kei Okada <k-okada at jsk.t.u-tokyo.ac.jp>wrote:

> Hi
>
> I have two questions regarding the navigation stack.
>
> 1)  is it possible to change inflation radius after we start move_base?
>    Currently we set new
> /move_base_node/local_costmap/inflation_radius parameter and rosnode
> kill /move_base_node.. but this takes about 10 seconds for respawn.We
> look for faster solution.

Currently, there is no way to dynamically reconfigure the costmap's
parameters, including the inflation radius. Handling dynamic footprints is
something that's on the todo list for navigation, but, unfortunately, its
not implemented yet.

> 2) The robot behaves according to the move_base Default Recovery
> Behaviors shown in http://www.ros.org/wiki/move_base page
>   Is there a way to know current robot behavior (navigation?clarning
> rotatoin?)

If you turn the DEBUG logging level on for move_base, you'll at least see a
print out of "In clearing/recovery state" when a recovery behavior is
executed and "In planning state" when planning is being executed, but
there's no great way to tell programmatically. I've never had a request to
make that part of move_base's state external. I could probably add it to the
feedback given from the MoveBase action in a future version of navigation.
If that's something you'd like to see, feel free to ticket me on it. If you
really wanted to, you could write your own recovery behavior plugins that
notify you when they're active and use those instead of the defaults.

Hope all is well, and sorry that both the answers were probably not what you
were hoping to hear,

Eitan