[ros-users] ROS and virtual private networks

Eric Perko wisesage5001 at gmail.com
Wed Sep 15 16:40:48 UTC 2010

My guess from other experience with the Cisco VPN client:

   1. ROS resolved your hostname to an IP, let's call it 192.168.1.15
   2. ROS tries to contact 192.168.1.15 when starting up roscore
   3. VPN client, ever so helpfully, routes ALL network traffic through the
   tunnel regardless of destination subnet
   4. VPN server end has no idea where to route a message to 192.168.1.15
   5. ROS cannot connect, as the VPN isn't routing requests back to your
   machine

I'd expect this problem to affect most anything using a VPN that isn't there
for the purpose of connecting to a rosmaster.

As you discovered, getting ROS to route things through the loopback
interface should bypass the VPN tunnel.

- Eric