[ros-users] Can't reconnect to SICK laser after killing node

Blaise Gassend blaise at willowgarage.com
Wed Sep 29 18:22:53 UTC 2010

Hi Dan,

The first two possibilities that come to mind for me are:
- The node you thought you killed isn't actually dead and still holds
a lock, or is still transmitting data. (Not sure whether the sick node
uses locking).
- The serial adapter you are using is buggy and is getting into a bad
state when you shut down the node.

If I were you I would try to use a terminal emulator such as picocom
to see if you can talk to the laser directly, and to see if the dongle
is working (connect pins 2 and 3 on a DB9 serial connector to get a
loopback that should echo back whatever you type).

Blaise