[ros-users] New urdf_tools Package

Wim Meeussen meeussen at willowgarage.com
Wed Sep 29 19:02:06 UTC 2010

> Thank you for creating these tools!  I am sure they will come in handy in
> lots of situations.
>
> Might I suggest renaming joint_controller to joint_state_publisher or
> fake_joint_state_publisher?  Also, is easy_state_publisher is a special case
> of joint_controller?

I really like the idea of the joint_state_publisher gui, it makes
visualizing and debugging a urdf file much easier. This would even
allow you to use rviz to debug a urdf file. This is something we
should absorb into the robot_model stack (we'll have to look into the
dependencies).

For the easy_state_publisher, I'd think that if we give the new
joint_state_publisher the ability to run without a gui, it would be
possible to run it in combination with the current
robot_state_publisher offers the same (and much more!) functionality.
What do you think?

Wim

Wim Meeussen
Willow Garage Inc.