[ros-users] Help installing third party stacks/packages

Tom Birch froody at gmail.com
Sun Apr 3 02:26:36 UTC 2011

That works fine if it's a package with no unsatisfied dependences, but
installing other stacks/packages like say, the kinematics package (
http://www.ros.org/wiki/kinematics) then I have to manually checkout all of
those dependencies.

I can see that roslocate can tell me where to checkout a package from, but I
don't understand how to feed that into rosinstall. Do I just do "roslocate
info $packagename > foo.rosinstall; rosinstall /path/to/install
file://`pwd`/foo.rosinstall"?

I found the install scripts at http://www.ros.org/rosinstalls/ but that
seems rather hacky, is this the recommended way of doing things? If so, why
are there no diamondback files there?

I'd really appreciate someone taking the time to explain this to me, because
really none of it makes sense, and the wiki seems to imply that it's trivial
to get stacks/packages listed on the wiki.

cheers,
Tom