[ros-users] ROS package git repository conventions?

Lorenzo Riano lorenzo.riano at gmail.com
Tue Aug 16 14:24:13 UTC 2011

I have received some emails of people who wanted to run the rubik's cube
stack, but they didn't want to pull the whole UU stack just because the
rubik's stack depends on a single package in UU (OK it's a bit
complicated...)

Anyway, what I think would be interesting is to have the ROS indexer scan
the packages of a (for example) GitHub user and retrieve all the stacks.
This way Berkley, TUM, UU and so on will have an account on GitHub (or
google code or whatever) with several repositories, each of them being a
stack.

I hope this makes sense...

Lorenzo

On 15 August 2011 21:05, Ibrahim Awwal <ibrahim.awwal at berkeley.edu> wrote:

> Hi ROS users,
>
> We're considering/planning on switching to git/github for the Berkeley
> ROS package. What are the conventions on structure and such that people
> are using? With svn we have a url like this
> http://ros.berkeley.edu/svn/berkeley-ros-pkg/ with all our stuff, with
> git would it be preferrable to have one repo called berkeley-ros-pkg or
> separate repos for each stack and maybe link them together with
> submodules? What are other people doing that are using git? It seems
> like at least TUM is using separate repos per project on their git repo
> (which seems to be the much more sane route) but I was wondering if
> there was any requirement to have something called foo-ros-pkg
> somewhere. Thanks,
>
> -Ibrahim

Lorenzo Riano, PhD
Research Associate