[ros-users] rviz is moving to Qt, preview available

Dorian Scholz scholz at sim.tu-darmstadt.de
Fri Dec 23 13:35:47 UTC 2011

Hi Ye,

> Thank you very much Michael! It works! Now I can play with rosgui. I
> have tried two plugins which I need very much at the moment:
> rosgui_plot, rosgui_pose_view.
Great to hear that you are getting some use out of rosgui already!
Please be aware though, that the rosgui_plot plugin is not using the ros
msg header timestamps at the moment.
So the data is shown as equidistant data points. As long as your data is
measured/generated at a constant rate you should have no problem with that.
This should be changed in the future, but I don't know when I'll get to
that, so feel free to supply patches if you like ;-)
> However with some changes:
>
> I think the qwt in rosdep.yaml should be pyqwt;
As I don't have OSX I don't know about the correct package names for
homebrew, but I assume you are right.
I would guess it should be like this:
python-qwt5-qt4: pyqwt
python-qt4-dev: pyqt
Maybe your or William can confirm this and I'll commit it.

> and I also change
>
>     import  Qwt

>     import PyQt4.Qwt5 as Qwt

This should not be necessary and would break the compatibility with
PySide as alternative Python bindings.
The module "Qwt" is supplied by rosgui.QtBindingHelper as an alias for
either PyQt4.Qwt5 or PySideQwt depending on your available bindings.

> I installed pyopengl manually by
>
>     sudo pip install pyopengl
>
> and this could be in rosdep.yaml
If there is no package for pyopengl on homebrew this would be a valid
solution.
Maybe you can supply a patch for the rosdep.yaml containing this?

Happy holidays,
Dorian