[ros-users] Problem linking to libraries from other Ros packages

Tully Foote tfoote at willowgarage.com
Wed Feb 2 05:43:25 UTC 2011

Hi,

The library you are trying to link to is named foo, not A in the
CMakeLists.txt of A.  If you export -lfoo insteadof -lA it should work
fine.  in our example code we often use ${PROJECT_NAME} for the name of
libraries which makes the library have the same name as the package.

As a side note, you don't need to explicitly link lib A, now foo, to bar in
B's CMakeLists, it's already linked due to the export.

Tully

On Tue, Feb 1, 2011 at 9:25 PM, Person With question <
personwithquestion at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I am having trouble figuring out how to include libraries from other
> packages I have written. I have attached a minimal example of my problem.
>
> I have package A that contains foo.cpp and foo.h, and I have package B that
> contains bar.cpp from which it tries to call a function in foo.cpp. I have
> placed foo.h in "include/A/foo.h", and all cpp files are in their respective
> "src" folders. I have configured the manifests of package A and B as
> follows:
>
> ---- A ----
> + <export>
> +   <cpp cflags="-I${prefix}/include" lflags="-Wl,-rpath,${prefix}/lib
> -L${prefix}/lib -lA"/>·
> + </export>
> ---- B ----
> + <depend package="A"/>
>
> ...and I have configured the CMakeLists.txt of packages A and B as follows:
> ---- A ----
> + rosbuild_add_library(foo src/foo.cpp)
> ---- B ----
> + rosbuild_add_executable(bar src/bar.cpp)
> + target_link_libraries(bar A)
>
> It seems that I have no trouble including "A/foo.h" from bar.cpp, but I
> cannot use any of the functions. When I try to compile package B, I get the
> error "/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lA" What am I doing wrong?
>
> I would very much appreciate it if someone could point me in the right
> direction, or email a new attachment with the fixed source. I've followed
> the advice in the following links, but have had no luck getting this example
> to work.
> http://ros-users.122217.n3.nabble.com/linking-shared-library-td862667.html
> http://www.ros.org/wiki/Manifest
> http://www.ros.org/wiki/rosbuild/CMakeLists