[ros-users] manipulation stack problems

Kaijen Hsiao kaijenhsiao at gmail.com
Thu Feb 3 21:06:49 UTC 2011

Hi Ugo,
I'm not sure exactly which stack/code you are using, but those markers
look like they're coming from the interpolated IK motion planner.  The
interpolated IK motion planner can search for a consistent/feasible
path starting from either end--if the start_from_end parameter is
true, then the planner finds IK solutions for the end pose first, then
works its way backwards towards the start pose, using the last set of
found arm angles as the starting point.

Typically when you're planning from pregrasp to grasp, you want to
enter pregrasp as start and grasp as end so the trajectory times are
correct, but you want to ask it to start searching from the grasp
(end) pose and work its way backwards.  That's because you typically
can't compromise on the final grasp pose, but you might not mind if
the Cartesian path backwards towards the pregrasp gets almost but not
all the way there.  That's what the error codes tell you--how far it
got.  (You can also set the steps_before_abort param to 0 if you just
want it to abort if it finds any infeasible/inconsistent poses at
all.)
If you get an incomplete path back, you can decide whether you're
willing to just motion plan to a slightly closer pregrasp pose, or if
you want to abort.  If the markers don't make it all the way to the
pregrasp, it means that the path is incomplete--the next step towards
the pregrasp either had no collision-free IK solution, or else had no
solution consistent with the last step (within consistent_angle for
all joint angles from the last step).

I'm not sure what you're running to get to the pregrasp, but you
probably want to use move_arm or some such to move to the start of the
(completed portion of the) trajectory returned by the interpolated IK
motion planner, then use a normal joint trajectory movement to get
through the rest of the trajectory.  (Or you can just use a Cartesian
controller, assured that there actually is a feasible/consistent path
to actually reach the grasp pose from that set of joint angles.)

Hope that helps.

-Kaijen