[ros-users] launching all nodes in included launch file on specified machine

Ken Conley kwc at willowgarage.com
Tue Feb 8 07:48:37 UTC 2011

On Mon, Feb 7, 2011 at 11:34 PM, koen buys <koen.buys at mech.kuleuven.be> wrote:
> On 7 February 2011 18:08, Ken Conley <kwc at willowgarage.com> wrote:
>> Hi Dan,
>>
>> If you declare a machine tag as a default, it is only active for nodes
>> that are evaluated after it.  That enables the sort of behavior you
>> describe, I think.
>>
>> In general, I want to redo the machine configuration (and am open to
>> others willing to contribute).   It's not nearly as powerful as it
>> needs to be.
>>
>>  - Ken
>>

> What changes do you have in mind? (I'm currently using it a lot)

The original design didn't really pan out.  I didn't really understand
how more complex roslaunch systems would be constructed, so I
speculated and missed.  The goal was to enable decoupling of machines
and nodes, but the resulting system was more static than intended.

In particular, some ideas to redo this:

 * decouple node/machine config even more, e.g. read from machine
configurations onto the Parameter Server
 * be able to apply a machine configuration in the include, e.g. Dan's
suggestion and also [1]
 * enable defining machine names w/o requiring machines to be declared

I'd be open to a complete rethink about how machines are specified.
We attempted to do this before Box Turtle, but ran out of runway and
had too short of time to come to a consensus.   The Parameter Server
idea is a bit of a tangent, but the hope there is to be more
declarative about the machines used in the system so that more tools
can take advantage (e.g. roswtf, "rostop").

I'd love help on this.  Thoughts?

 - Ken

[1]: https://code.ros.org/trac/ros/ticket/2598