[ros-users] Camera input to EKF

Steven Bellens steven.bellens at mech.kuleuven.be
Mon Feb 14 06:47:57 UTC 2011

Hey Abhy,

2011/2/14 abhy <abhy.12354 at gmail.com>:

> Yes, i can surely create a node and then read ar_pose and fill cov. matrix as
> given in the patch to publish it.
> My setup is running static map and AMCL for localization. I have odometry
> sensor and Laser range finder. I want to make position estimate more
> accurate using vision based sensors. I have activated ar_pose_estimate and
> can use ar_pose publish topics.
> I want to fuse camera pose with odometry pose using EKF. Is there any
> specific guidelines i should follow to use both the sensors through EKF
> package and give output which can be used by AMCL further?

Currently only arpose messages are supported, but adding support for
other messages shouldn't be that difficult. You'll have to dig in the
EKF component code however.
If you open ar_pose_ekf/src/ekf.cpp you'll find two important methods
for this: copyStateFromMsg() and copyToMsg(). Those currently
translate the arpose message to a struct which the BFL EKF knows (a
columnvector). You can add two similar methods for your odometry
message here. We'll be happy to integrate any extensions you implement
here :). Let me know if you have any problems with this.

regards,

Steven